Thursday, September 13, 2007

The 50 book challenge !

At the beginning of the year, I had set myself a target of reading 50 books this year, primarily to force myself back into the reading habit. Have read 33 to date and am slightly lagging behind my target vs. time elapsed !
Posting a wishlist of books I want to read before end of this year so that I dont get tempted to read trash and meet my target.
1. Undercover Economist (Tim Harford) - Currently reading. It is great economic reasoning in a very easy to read manner. It uses real world examples to explain economic theories. Unlike Freakonomics, the book explains key economic concepts starting with the value of scarcity and marignal cost vs. average cost.
2. End of Oil (Paul Roberts) - Just bought it in Bangkok a week ago. It is about the energy crisis, how real it is and what the implications are. I am not a very environment conscious person, hopefully the book can make me a bit more aware
3. Confessions of an economic hitman (John Perkins) - Highly recommended by Shrenik. The book is about the life of an economic hitman - highly paid professionals who cheat countries around the globe out of trillions of dollars.
4. India 60 (Edited by Ira Pandey) - Collection of essays as India matures into a 60 year old nation. Currently reading. Quite ordinary. But since I have invested time in it and the stress of finishing 50 books, might as well finish it.
5. Maximum City (Suketu Mehta) - Have heard my husband rave about book forever now. Intend to find out for myself what is so great about it.
6. Tao of Physics (Fritjof Capra) - Tried reading, gave up. Worth another shot. The book draws parallels between eastern mysticism and western physics. Quite involved, I dont even understand it sometimes.
Do let me know if you have recommendations for good books that I can read !

6 comments:

Sentispeak said...

Hey
Undercover Economist sounds interesting - will pick it up if you retain ur positive review by the end.
Confessions of an Economic Hitman is overrated. It has interesting info but sounds more conspiracy theory than fact
Maximium City should be good for a Mumbaite but might tire you by the ending

I would recommend Fooled by Randomness, absolute great stuff. And in case End of Oil doesn't work or even if it does, do watch An Inconvenient Truth if you haven't. I'd be surprised if your environment conscious meter doesn't go up with it!

Nirupama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PaintItRed said...

I wouldn't exactly qualify 33/50 (37/50 now) as lagging behind :-)

Cutting Chai said...

Sentispeak: Thanks! Btw Undercover Economist is pretty good, I think you'll like it.

T: I would :)

Abhishek said...

great going...a lot of serious, heavy reading in there...btw, who inspired you to read so much non-fiction :P

Quirky Quill said...

I loved maximum city. Highly recommended.
Sophie's choice is something I'd reco-fiction but not the forgettable variety.
I left Undercover economist midway-felt like I was reading 11th class NCERT eco textbook-only this one is with starbucks and pounds all over it.